Mastodon

Tuesday 25 January 2022

Wouxun KG-UV8G

Since getting my Amateur Radio Licence back, I've been interested in getting hold of something that covers 4m for a while now, I've got no real room for a shack at the moment and don't want a mobile device so having looked around I came across one of these.

I ordered it from Martin Lynch & Sons and it arrived very quickly and very well packaged. The instructions leave a bit to be desired and then there was the installation of the software to get the rig configured. 

None of this should be a criticism, for the price this is a really good bit of gear, I'll be doing some more tests on it shortly.

I tried to programme it initially with Chirp and failed dismally so I decided to install the supplied software.

This didn't go too well, there were driver problems with the USB cable and then the software complained about being able to register a few DLLS. But I persevered and eventually got it all up and running.

So if you have one of these and you're struggling feel free to try this process, don't blame me if it goes wrong and you need to re-install Windows, this is what I carried out on my Windows 11 machine and it still works.

I've uploaded the software and some dlls to OneDrive with a link here and I'll go through my suggest process for installation.

This only works if you have the red USB cable by the way, plug the cable into your computer, it will be detected and the device will show an exclamation.

First off run the CP210x.exe file to install the drivers, now run the KG-UV8G software and skip past the errors, next copy the two dll files to the following folder.

c:\windows\SysWOW64

This is case sensitive, make sure it goes into the one shown above.

Finally open a command prompt as admin and run:

regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCT2.OCX

regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\Msflxgrd.ocx

You should now be able to run up the software to configure your radio, I have included a config file that I put together called KGUV8G.kg, you can download that to the radio as a starting point if you want and it really is a starting point as I haven't worked out a lot of stuff yet.

Finally, I'm not clever enough to work this out myself so thanks to Powerwerx.com for the drivers and the QRZ forums for the dll fix.

Now go and buy one, get on 4m and have some fun.







No comments:

Post a Comment