Mastodon

Saturday 16 April 2016

Ubuntu, what's happened

I've used Linux for many years now. started with Mandrake, then onto PCLinuxOS on my dekstop with Ubuntu on a laptop, then along came Unity which I initially hated but now find quite good and I can even say that I may prefer it over other desktops. I've had no issues at all with any versions of Ubuntu except for an annoying keyboard one which I've sorted and Ubuntu 14.04 works quite well on my desktop. Then along came Ubuntu 16.04 which I tested when in alpha build and it worked rather well. I went back to 14.04 for my day to day use until the final beta came out.

It came out, I downloaded it, wrote the image to a USB stick and booted, selected the option to install it and I got a black screen, the activity light on the stick showed it was still doing something. I've tried this with the latest daily build and still the same issue. I can get back to in install screen by adding a line on boot but the thing is I shouldn't have to.

All other versions of Linux install take me to an installer, Debian gives me the wrong resolution but that can be sorted. Only the latest version of a supposedly stable long term release of Ubuntu gives me this problem and I'm not running any strange exotic hardware here either. I know it's an issue with the Radeon graphics card driver and I can't be the only one suffering from this, things like this will stop people in their tracks when trying to install Linux.

Just as an aside, Mint,  PCLinuxOS, Fedora, Ubuntu 15.10 all boot to a graphical installer, 16.04 doesn't.

Get it sorted.


No comments:

Post a Comment