Mastodon

Sunday 15 March 2015

Goodbye to Tech Support

For many years I have worked in the "Customer Service" side of home technology and I'd now like to say that I have happily moved away from it. The main reason behind this is the public, they are with the odd exception a complete and utter pain in the arse.

To give you an idea, I have had calls from people that can't access their wireless network when they are 200 miles away from home. People who think that the blue screen of death on their computer is because their broadband is broken, people who blame their ISP as their computer has a virus. People who say their broadband is running slow who have a Windows XP machine with 256Mb of RAM and no hard drive space, people who insist that their wireless is faulty as the range has gone down or the speed has decreased. And one of my favourites, I have 5 devices that connect but my new laptop won't the broadband must be faulty.

All the above are generally down to faults with anything other than broadband. You, the public, believe that a broadband provider will fix anything to do with your computer, would you take your car to a petrol station if your gearbox went faulty, no. But, the public in general has made it so hard and is so demanding that they expect their ISP to fix anything and everything and they expect their monthly charges to go down and speeds to go up.

I really used to enjoy providing tech support and fixing things but now I can safely say I have never been happier.


No comments:

Post a Comment